2022 Q2 Newsletter
- The Challenge Trail Extension will be further constructed once the latest National Forest Closures have been rescinded and the trail corridor has been cleared by the USFS Crew. Trail Days scheduled later this summer and into fall will enable the connection between the Tree Springs trailhead down to Doc Long.
MTB Specific Training Course
- AMBA, in partnership with Elevate PHW, hosted a MTB specific training course, with Coach Jay English. The course consisted of 5 classes costing a total of $150 - ALL of which was donated to the upcoming AMBA North Course project! The first course class booked fast! The Course Objective focused on building a fundamental understanding of the multiple elements that lay the foundation for performance and longevity on the bike. Topics that were explored included: 1) purpose and options for on the bike training, 2) managing and balancing training objectives, 3) performance nutrition & hydration, 4) bike specific mobility & strengthening. We are considering hosting another if there is interest expressed.
Tool Purchase for Trail Work:
- We have been busy the past two months purchasing enough trail building tools to ensure our continued effort in trail building and maintenance. Up until this point, we have had to borrow tools from the Forest Service which can provide additional logistic complications and we now have our own tools. So far, we have been able to purchase 10 McLeods, 10 pick mattocks, 2 pulaskis, and 25 helmets. Hopefully by next year we will be able to purchase a trailer to store and haul these in too!
- Save the Date, Saturday August 20th. AMBA will be hosting a members-only appreciation event at Canteen Brewhouse from 4-7pm, in which you can expect food, drinks, games, prizes, raffles and good company! The event was recently posted on Meetup. Please note that the appreciation event has been changed to Saturday, October 23 at the Canteen Brewhouse from 12:00 - 3:00.
Bike maintenance classes:
- AMBA will be offering two mountain bike maintenance classes this summer, which are organized and run by Zach Ratzlaff of Two Wheel Drive bike shop in Nobhill. We will be posting these on Meetup soon!
- Save the Date, weekend of October 1st! AMBA will be hosting a members-only camping event at Cedro Peak in Tijeras, in which you can expect a group ride, skills clinic, food, drinks, and tons of fun! Be on the lookout- details will be posted soon on Meetup!
- AMBA offers group rides that can vary in distance and difficulty and are planned by our gracious Ride Organizers when they are able to take time from their busy lives! These are offered via our Meetup.com website, which can be found here: https://www.meetup.com/AMBANM/. We are accepting applications for new Ride Organizers, however we do require that you: are an AMBA member, have attended at least 5 group rides in the past, are an intermediate to advanced rider, and familiar with the trails and trail etiquette. If you are interested in organizing group rides, please reach out to Tami Taylor @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AMBA will be offering member-only mountain bike skills clinics to our members later this summer/early Fall. Two of our Committee Members, Veronica Bruce and Rachel Bobka, attended a 3-day clinic and now hold BICP Level 1 mountain bike instructor certifications and are going to share their knowledge with our awesome members. Be on the lookout for both a women-only and a co-ed skills clinic later this year!
Committee Member Inquiry:
- We are looking for individuals that would like to join our non-profit organization, helping to promote the love of mountain biking and participate in the following committee groups:
- Membership & Marketing (social media, conducting surveys)
- Technology (updating website)
- Events & Group Rides
Upcoming trail opportunities:
- In conjunction with the US Forest Service, Albuquerque Open Space, the Placitas Area Trail Association, and other trail-oriented organizations, AMBA will be working to schedule and participate in local volunteer trail work opportunities. Keep an eye out for further information about these events on our social media pages:
- Instagram: @albuquerque_mtb_association
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AMBANM
Events Meetup Page:
- Looking for upcoming group rides and volunteer trail work opportunities? Make sure to check out and join our AMBA Events Page: https://www.meetup.com/AMBANM/events/
Newsletter created by Carley Parriott & Hannah Russert